Saturday, March 26, 2011

Inquiry

This last week was the annual Inquiry Conference. I spent a significant amount of my week listening to different presenters from across many disciplines discuss countless topics based on their cross-cultural research experiences. While fighting off strong feelings of nostalgia of student and projects past I was reminded of how important and exciting the process of inquiry is. As one keynote speaker similarly put it, inquiry is the finding of dots of knowledge/experience and then connecting those dots. Watching students present on their experiences with inquiry was fascinating to me. Each one had their own points of interest and process of learning. In many ways for me it was like plugging in a dying battery to be recharged.

One of my favorite topics throughout the conference was on collaboration. Collaboration between faculty, students, and the members of the community that we as students visit. This may include our top informants, host families, neighbors, or the person that we talk to while waiting for the bus. When I interact with these individuals it is not just me becoming educated or gaining knowledge. Sharing and collaboration are taking place. Am I being a good collaborator? How am I sharing my knowledge? How am I treating these groups of people? What are my intentions for treating them that way? Am I going above and beyond with some people and ignoring others simply because I want something from them? What is appropriate? Can I ever 'repay' what I am given?

These are some of the thoughts that I have had about the ideas of collaboration and inquiry. In my project specifically how will I be a good collaborator? I think recognizing and being honest with my motives is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment